Please sponsor us - We're dreaming big for Make-a-Wish New Zealand

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Training in the Holidays

Why is it so difficult to train during the school holidays?

Before the holidays start, I have all these little fantasies about the fun, fitness activities that we can take part in as a family.  Then the holiday starts and reality dawns.  I still have to work in the morning and by the time I have finished my work at 1pm, the kids don't seem interested in running around.

My son would rather play video games for as long as he is allowed, and my daughter wants to sit and paint or play my little pony.

I managed to get my daughter to come out for a bit of a run with me yesterday.  She was on her bike and I was running with the dog.  It all started off well, until she started to get tired after the first kilometer and then the dog did his business, which I had to then bag up and run with for the last kilometer (not nice).

Anyway, managed to get a 2k run out of it.  When hubby came home in the evening, I decided to head for the gym for a more satisfactory 5k run on the treadmill (I would like to do this most evenings, but quite often feel too tired by the time hubby gets home)

The kids are heading off to a holiday program tomorrow for the day, so should be able to get a good session in then.  Might need to work on speed rather than endurance though as we have a race the following day.

How do you manage to fit your training in during the holidays?  Any good ideas for training with kids?

No comments: