Please sponsor us - We're dreaming big for Make-a-Wish New Zealand

Monday, April 2, 2012

Are we there yet?

No.  Not yet.  But we are working on it!

This is a place where we (Rose, Denise and I) will share our goals, adventures and challenges as we are working to keep fit.

Rose and I have been friends for a little while now and thanks to her "gentle persuasion" I decided to enter the Kapiti Women's Triathlon.  A decision that started changing my life. 

As part of the preparation we joined in with a very motivated bunch of ladies each Saturday morning and this is where we met Denise.

For me personally, the Kapiti Women's Triathlon was an amazing event.  And proof that I was able to do this event despite dealing with some leg injuries and having less than ideal fitness levels. And really if I can do it - then you can too! (Read all about my experience here).

Our next event that we did together was the Contact Women's Tri in Palmerston North and I have to admit that right now I'm hooked (all Rose's fault really...) (Read all about my experience here).

Both the Kapiti Women's and the Contact Women's Tri were amazing events for me to start off with.  They were incredibly supportive and I am really glad that I took the plunge and went for it. 

We have a pretty big huge goal that we are now working on, but more on that a little bit later so watch this space... :-)

But who am I?

I am Lea - a mum of two beautiful girls.  Caitlyn is currently 5 and Bianca 8.  We moved from South Africa in 2004 and now call New Zealand "home".



Bianca is my little hero as she was diagnosed with leukemia shortly before turning 4 and received treatment for 830 days.  Once when she was 5 her school had a cross country event and it was expected that all kids would participate.  I was incredibly worried because one of the drugs she received to treat her leukemia affected her legs and she was unable to run like other kids.  I knew that there was no way she would even stand a chance of winning and it broke my heart.  The teacher assured me that Bianca would have the option to have a walking buddy or to be a special helper.  Bianca insisted that she was going to participate.  And she did.  She came dead last, but she participated and she finished the race.  I was so incredibly proud.  To do this despite the challenges she was dealing with is absolutely amazing!  To read Bianca's story click here.



Bianca is my inspiration and the reason why I am also now working on my fitness.  I might not win, but I will participate and I will do my best - isn't that what it is all about?

1 comment:

blackhuff said...

I like it very much, that you three have decided to start a blog surrounding the challenges and adventures to getting and keeping fit. Such a great idea and this blog will also make you three feel accountable to the rest of the world, especially with Winter around the corner. Thanks for inviting me.